30- Important Lessons – Chapter 11 – Invalidators of Salaat
From the works of Imam Abdul-‘Aziz Bin Baz Rahimahulah Ta’ala
Presented by Sheikh Saleh As-Saleh Hafithahulah Ta’ala
Bismilah, Al-Rahman Al-Raheem. Alhamdulilahi Rab Al-‘Alameen wa salla Allahu ‘ala Muhammedan wa ‘ala aalahi wasahbihi wassalam.
In the name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful. All praise is due to Allah, the Lord of all that exists. I testify there is no true God worthy of worship except Allah and that Muhammed is Allah’s true Slave and Messenger. May Allah’s salah and Salam be upon the Prophet, his pure family and his noble companions and those that follow on their path until the day of resurrection. May Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala make us from them. Wal-hamdulilah Rab Al-‘Alameen.
Important Lessons for the Muslim Ummah – Chapter 11: Invalidators of Salaat
This title means those actions which nullify the salaat and therefore, the person must redo their salaat.
1) The willful talking in salaat concerning that which is not related to be a benefit in salaat.
If a person talks in salaat out of forgetfulness or ignorance, then his salaat is not nullified according to the correct opinion.
The evidence for the invalidity of the salaat due to willful talking in salaat is the report from Zaib Bin ‘Arqam who said:
We used to talk in salat to our neighbors until the following verse was revealed:
Al-Baqqarah (2)-238: Guard strictly (five obligatory) AsSalawât (the prayers) especially the middle Salât (i.e. the best prayer ‘Asr). And stand before Allâh with obedience [and do not speak to others during the Salât (prayers)].
(continuing with the hadith):
So we were commanded not to speak with each other during salaat.
The evidence for the validity of the salaat of the person who speaks in salat due to ignorance or forgetfulness is in the story of Mu’awiya Ibn Hakam As-Sulami radi Allahu Ta’ala ‘anhu when he spoke in the salaat due to ignorance and the Prophet sallah Allahu ‘alayhi wassalam admonished him and said:
In this salaat, nothing between the speech of people is valid in it. Verily it is Tasbeeh, Takbeer and the recitation of the Qur’an (Reported in Sahih Muslim).
The point of evidence is that the Prophet sallah Allahu ‘alayhi wassalam did not command him to redo the salaat, although he spoke in the salaat out of ignorance.
2) Laughing. Ibnul Munthir rahimahulah said: They (meaning the scholars) were unanimous that laughing invalidates the salaat.
3) Willful eating and drinking. It is also reported from Ibnul Munthir rahimahulah who said: It’s unanimous from those whom we deserve (to take knowledge from) that those who eat and drink in the fard deliberately must redo the salaat.
4) Ishafu Al-‘Awrah – the deliberate uncovering of one’s private parts that must be covered because this is a condition from the conditions of salaat.
5) Too much deliberate deviation or divergence from the direction of the Qiblah. This is because facing the Qiblah is one of the conditions of salaat.
6) Nullification of the Wadu’. Wadu’ is a condition of salaat where salaat is not valid unless there is purification. The Prophet sallah Allahu ‘alayhi wassalam said:
Allah does not except the prayer of any one of you if he breaks the wadu’ due to the ritual impurities until he makes wadu’.
Taken from Understand-islam.net